For those of you who aren't bored to tears by hearing me yammer on incessantly about wedding crap, onward!
Two words: CAKE TOPPER. I don't know why, but a few months ago I suddenly became obsessed with cake toppers. I'm pretty sure it started with a post on weddingbee. One of the bloggers there was recapping her wedding and one of the pictures that she posted was of her cake topper. IT WAS CUTE. I was in love. It's hard not to be when you see so much detail. SEE?
I wanted one of these so much, but seeing the price had my inner cheapskate sobbing in a corner while trying to eat fistfuls of hair. There was no way I was going to cough up more than two hundred bones for a cake topper. I ended up going to Michaels and buying all of the stuff that I needed to make my very own awesome little wooden people. While in the process of working on it, I came across these:
Let me tell you, I freaked. I think I might have ruptured Josh's eardrums with the high-pitched craziness that was coming out of my mouth when I saw these. I stopped petting the computer monitor and making weird dog-whine noises long enough to wonder if people would think these were too weird, and then I remembered that anyone who knows us knows that we're a whole-different-universe kind of weird. I contacted the shop owner, Megan, about making us our very own animal-head topper and she let me know that it would be about three weeks before she'd post a custom listing for me showing our topper. At that point, I wouldn't have to buy it unless I was happy with the outcome. SCORE!
I waited for a little over two weeks before she posted the listing and sent me a message. When I saw the pictures, I knew that it was absolutely perfect.
Let me just interrupt the topper love to say that, before planning for the wedding I hadn't purchased anything from etsy. So far, we've gotten our cake topper, our invitations and save-the-date cards, and my veil from different vendors on the site and have been so lucky to receive excellent service from every one of those vendors. All have replied to questions much faster than anticipated and all of the packages I've received have been beautifully wrapped, most of them with sweet little congratulatory notes.
Anyways, let's get back to the topper. I had some worries that it might come in the mail and be huge or weird-looking (one particular person said in their feedback that they didn't receive the topper pictured in their listing), but when it arrived I was so happy. It's even better looking in real life. This beautiful little freak show is displayed in our living room and I smile every time I see it. Even Josh got a big kick out of it. As for my handmade wooden cake topper, it will still be making an appearance at the wedding, probably on our guest book table.
Are you as in love with your cake topper as I am? Are you as in love with MY cake topper as I am?



No comments:
Post a Comment