Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

What Grinds My Gears

I'm totally trying to start getting into posting again, but I got some great news from our photographer yesterday. Our pictures are on their way!

Here's a wedding-related detail that I'm going to address right now, before I get into any of my recaps, because it's seriously something that made me unhappy...
I mentioned in my first post-wedding post that things went wrong, and for the most part, I had let those things go. I had let them go until I was shopping the other day and heard the song I was supposed to walk down the aisle to. Supposed to is the operative phrase here.

I know my face doesn't show it, but I was thinking about the damned music
right before this moment.

Being the huge music nerd that I am, I obsessed about the music for our ceremony for months. I even did a little rundown of what (I thought) was going to be playing on the day of. Plans changed the day before the wedding when we met with Father Richard. Where the schedule had once been thirty minutes of music, two instrumental processionals, and a happy recessional, the schedule became this:

1. Fifteen Minutes of background music
2. Entrance Piece
3. Background music for the first kiss, signing the documents
4. Background music for the candle lighting ceremony
5. Exit Piece



This was really not a big deal. I ran back to my mom's house after the meeting, burned a new cd and tested it while running errands with Bridesmaid Mary before our rehearsal. The new music went a little something like this:


1. Fifteen Minutes of background music-
Just Like Heaven, The Cure
Green Eyes, Coldplay
What I Wouldn't Do, A Fine Frenzy
Stay Young, Go Dancing, Deathcab For Cutie

2. Entrance Piece
Running, Vitamin String Quartet (played for the Bridal Party and Groom-change for flower girls)
The Only Exception, Vitamin String Quartet (for flower girls and Bride)

3. Background music for the first kiss, signing the documents
Sea of Love, Cat Power

4. Background music for the candle lighting ceremony
Can't Help Falling In Love, Ingrid Michaelson

5. Exit Piece
God Only Knows, The Beach Boys

At our rehearsal, we did a quick walk-through of the ceremony and asked for a volunteer to man the music. Josh went through the process of fading in and out of the songs by adjusting the volume, wrote what track numbers corresponded to which event, and we thought we were done.
Nope.
At the ceremony, Josh freaked when our volunteer was late. He started explaining the music to someone else just in case. The volunteer finally made it about five minutes before the scheduled ceremony time and that's when everything went haywire. The bridal party made it out and I sat there waiting and waiting with my dad for my song to start. Would you be surprised if I told you that the song didn't start? Nope. The same song that the bridal party walked to was still playing. I gave up waiting and walked out.
During our kiss and the candle lighting ceremony, the music was correct. Correct, and LOUD. I jumped when Cat Power started blaring right before we kissed.
Our exit piece played when we were already almost at the end of the aisle. I could see people start to dance to the music, but at that point I was pretty much over how badly the music had gone. I did what people in denial do. I chose not to think about it.
I didn't think about it until I was at Kohl's and heard Paramore, and my heart sank. I thought about that song so much, obsessed about it for months, teared up whenever I heard it because those lyrics, they are us. I had become so completely enamored with the idea of walking to that song and it just became one of those things that I didn't imaging would not happen. I imagine that, at some point in time, it will be easy to think about how much it bothered me and maybe it will even become funny. Right now, one whole month later, it's still disappointing.
Our ceremony was beautiful, and I did hear comments about the music. The comments were about how awesome the song selection was. As unhappy as I was about the music not turning out exactly as I had intended, the rest of the ceremony was beautiful and US. I really can't wait to get my pictures back so that I can share the whole thing.
Did anyone else have some wedding day hiccups?

4 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sorry Marci. :( But I'm so glad the rest of the ceremony was still so beautiful and you. I'm sure my wedding will have hiccups too: they're inevitable, and you really do seem to be taking them in stride!

    I know Mrs. Treasure on Weddingbee wrote a post recently about not loving her wedding and having things she was disappointed about, and lots of other brides commented they felt the same way, so it's totally normal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! That really sucks. It sounds like you have a really good perspective on it, though - and didn't let it ruin your mood in the moment, which is great. Still, though - BOOOO to wedding day hiccups! Maybe you can use it as an excuse to dance to the missed song with your husband on your first anniversary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a small issue with the music, which wasn't really an issue... but I wanted the song while playing while the bridesmaids walked down the aisle to be an instrumental version of I Dream a Dream. And while our DJ did play I Dreamed a Dream it wasn't the instrumental version. Was it a huge deal? Probably not, and no one probably knew the difference. But I still wish it had been right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really weird, because no one else seemed to notice that anything went wrong. People keep telling me that our wedding was beautiful, but I noticed when things went wrong. They didn't bother me at the time, but thinking about it now makes me a little...sad? Depressed? I can't really think of what to call it, but I know we can't do it over.

      Delete