Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

You Can Pick Your Friends, You Can Pick Your Nose...

With all of the stress, last-minute details and the constant nagging feeling I have that I'm forgetting something, I can honestly say that I'm really glad that I completely did away with a detail that a ton of brides pay a lot of attention to.


Yes, that's right. I'm not doing a seating chart. In fact, I REFUSE to do a seating chart. Do you know why?
Remember all of the noise I was making about our lack of RSVPs? If you don't want to follow the link, here's the condensed version: We sent out our invitations with RSVP postcards that were already stamped and ready to send back to us. We sent out almost sixty invitations in early June, and by our "respond by" date in mid-August we had only gotten eleven back. THAT'S RIGHT. ELEVEN.
I have gotten a couple more back since then, but mostly I've been getting phone calls and facebook messages letting me know that people wanted to keep the postcards, forgot about sending them back, etc. The original number that we had by August 17th was thirty confirmed guests, and that included our bridal party and parents. The number has since swelled to nearly sixty solidly confirmed guests-a number which does not include my aunts, who haven't called or messaged me but have told my mom that they're coming. 
Some of my scrambling these past couple of weeks has been to make room for people that I didn't think were coming. Am I happy that all of these people are coming? Of course! I love them and am so happy that Josh and I will get to spend the day surrounded by people we love. 
I am not excited about the fact that I now have to order extra linens and buy more candy for our buffet table, in addition to paying for rush shipping for everything. I am not happy about the fact that I spent money on postage for cards that weren't mailed. I would definitely not be happy if I had to keep thinking about seating arrangements right now, only eleven days from my wedding. 
While I am confident that we'll have enough chairs and food, and more than enough wedding cake for everyone attending, this is one thing that I have really just let go of. I'm pretty sure that people wouldn't pay attention to the seating chart and just choose their own chairs anyway, so I'm letting it go and it feels amazing. 
I'm letting everyone pick their own damned seat and it's making me giddy like a schoolgirl!
Is anyone else not doing a seating chart?



No comments:

Post a Comment