Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

For Reals

There's something really important that I haven't talked about yet...


Getting our marriage certificate! Josh and I actually did this back in February while we were visiting Santa Fe over President's Day weekend. 
If you're wondering how in Hades we're going to be able to use this in September when we got it back in February, the answer is weird but simple. New Mexico marriage certificates don't expire. We can push the wedding back another couple of years and we would still be able to use this same certificate. I had to call the County Clerk's office and ask a few different people before I really believed it (and I might have checked Google a couple of times too) because I knew that other states only give you a window of time to use them. 
I couldn't believe how easy the process was. We went to the county courthouse on Monday morning, presented our driver's licenses, filled out a form, handed over $25 and left with our marriage certificate in hand. I was so glad to be able to knock this to-do off of our list, because I knew, absolutely knew that if we waited until the week of the wedding to get this done, we'd probably forget until the morning of. 
This is something that I'll probably write a few times, but as soon as we got in the car to leave the courthouse things started to feel real. This is really happening! After ten years, we're getting married! I've felt the same feeling (it's a mixture of absolute happiness, excitement, giddiness, nausea and panic all rolled into one little ball of fun) a couple of times since, but in that moment it didn't feel like a dream anymore. 
Was getting your marriage certificate easy? When did you have your "this is really happening" moment?

4 comments:

  1. The New Mexico marriage certificates are a lot prettier than they are here in Illinois! We didn't go til this past friday because in our county they are only good for 60 days. The process was simple like yours, just license's, fill out 2 forms, and then go talk to someone and hand over $25 + $8 for first copy and $4 for more copies. The fact that they never expire there is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost got our marriage certificate in Austin because those are BEAUTIFUL! It's hard to find pictures of what the certificates look like, but some of the smaller counties in New Mexico have really beautiful and ornate marriage certificates.

      Delete
  2. We can't get out certificate till 30 days before the wedding. And to be honest, even though we're getting married in less than 2 months, and the RSVPs have been rolling in, I still haven't felt that "It's really happening" moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that some people don't get the "this is happening OMG" moment until they're waking up the morning of or walking down the aisle. I had one getting the marriage certificate, but I also experienced the feeling when we sent out our invitations.

      Delete