Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Gifting the Groom

Before we start-Josh, if you're reading this, Obi Wan has a very special message just for you:


Yeah, that means GTFO. Now.
All people who are not Josh, and do not have Josh looking over their shoulders, or are not intending to communicate the following to Josh, please proceed.

I'm having a bit of a crisis. I said earlier that I am horrible at giving gifts because I usually give the gift much earlier than intended...this is no good considering the fact that I'm hiding Josh's wedding gift in my closet and I can't wait until he sees it.
Before I share the gift with you, I want to share what he's not getting.
I know most brides give a jewelry-type gift, like a watch or some cuff links, and this was what I originally planned on doing. Well, my best friend MOH Cartman says that your best laid plans never get you laid the way you planned and she's right. Josh was really unenthusiastic when we talked about watches (he owns two different watches and wears one of them about once a month). I spotted these cuff links on etsy right after I ruled out spending money on a watch Josh would never wear and I ordered them. They came in right before his birthday and, being the surprise ruiner that I am, I gave them to him.

Amazing Star Wars cuff links by Spiffing Jewelry 

Now, I've spent the last two months trying to figure out what to get him but nothing seemed special enough until a random shopping trip last week. I got out of work at noon last Thursday and went downtown to visit a couple of my favorite thrift shops. I ended up passing by an antique store that has never been open any other time that I've passed by, and...THE OPEN SIGN WAS ON. This was miracle enough, but after I got out of the car and walked up to the door I noticed a small handwritten sign taped to the window that said "Vintage Star Wars Dealer." I immediately got butterflies in my stomach. 
It only took about ten minutes before I found Josh's gift.


Now, these figures are not exactly vintage, but they are in no way cheap-especially if you are purchasing something with near-pristine packaging.  I struggled for a long time to find a Chewbacca for myself, but when I spotted it I knew Josh would love it. I also managed to snag a Boba Fett Unleashed figure at the same time. I'm planning on packing them up along with the copy of A Lovely Love Story and asking one of the Groomsmen to give it to him before the wedding. I really hope that I can hold out from giving them to him early!
Are you giving your groom a gift before the wedding? Are you as bad at surprises as I am?

4 comments:

  1. What a great gift: so personal, and I'm sure he'll love it! I love geeky gifts!

    Also, to solve your pre-gifting dilemma, could you possibly give it to a groomsman you can trust not to tell Josh, or a bridesmaid for safekeeping, now? That way, it's not in your possession, so you can't possibly give it to him early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, those cuff links! You totally inspired me (Also, I...um... didn't know I was supposed to buy my groom a present. Thanks for saving me on that one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the gift-giving either until I started reading Weddingbee! I was originally going to get him some lego cuff links but these copper ones just seemed a lot more polished and simple.

      Delete