Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Great Lengths

I hope I'm not dating myself with this, but back in 1985 someone made a terrifying "children's movie" called The Peanut Butter Solution. It was about a little boy who goes bald and tries to grow his hair back using a peanut butter based potion that's given to him by a couple of ghosts. The trailer calls it a comedy/adventure, but this movie scared the beejesus out of me when I was a little kid.


Anyways, I've been thinking that those ghosts slipped some of that stuff into my shampoo about a year ago because my hair is crazy long right now. That scene with the wind tangling his hair and dragging him into the bushes? Totally happens to me at least once a week.

I had some health issues a few years ago that resulted in a lot of hair loss, like clumps-of-hair-falling-out-when-I-sneezed kind of hair loss. I had been keeping my hair at least shoulder length and going between blonde and coppery-red for a while, and mostly my hair looked like this:


It started to get so thin that I decided to chop it all off, and for a while I rocked a really cute graduated bob. I kept the short hair until 2009 when my Grandpa passed away. When I feel really depressed I have the tendency to stop messing with my hair and my Grandpa's death hit me pretty hard, and the result of that was me becoming really hands-off with my hair for a long time. I dyed it a color as close to my natural color as I could and stopped cutting it.
After Josh proposed, I made the decision to let my hair keep growing until after the wedding. Let me tell you, there are times that I regret saying that I wouldn't cut my hair, times that I wish that I would have shut up and gotten my cute little bob back, but I really wanted a pretty updo and I knew I couldn't have that with my short hair.
My hair hasn't been this long since I was fourteen. It gets in the way, gets trapped in doors and car windows, makes me feel like my head is on fire, and it's incredibly heavy. I can't wait to chop it off-and I fully intend to donate it to Locks of Love.
This is what I'm working with right now:


I keep joking that I'm going to make an appointment with a hairdresser for the day after the wedding to get my post-wedding-chop, but truthfully, I'm going to miss all of this hair. I haven't had the patience to grow it out for a while and now that I've got it I'm enjoying it a little.
Did anyone else grow their hair out for the wedding? Are you planning your PWC already?


No comments:

Post a Comment