Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Best Laid Plans

I said in a post recently that Maid of Honor Cartman's* favorite quote is "your best laid plans don't always get you laid the way you planned". Wisdom from the mouths of babes, dude. 
I should have known bad news was coming when Josh got a phone call earlier today. About five minutes in, he pulled on his serious face and left the room, and when he came back he had some news and I had a major DEFCON 2 level meltdown. It went a little something like this:

Hilarious card by Go Jet Go

Our original, wonderful plan was to be married by Josh's step dad, who is an officiant in Santa Fe as well as being an all-around badass. He performed the ceremony for Josh's brother and his wife, and by all accounts he did a great job. I felt incredibly lucky to have someone marrying us who already knew our history and it felt like it would make the day that much more personal and special. 
We found out today that he's gotten a couple of amazing job offers in California and will probably be relocating at the end of this month. Because of the new job, it's more than likely that he won't be able to attend the wedding. 
Josh told me the news and quickly backed away without breaking eye contact, like you do with wild animals. I proceeded to have a little kid tantrum, bawling about how "life isn't faaaaaiiiiiirrr, why does bad stuff always happen to meeeeeee?!?!" 
We are less than two months out right now, and there have been a fair amount of little fires that have needed to be put out. Little disasters. After about five minutes of sulking and couch-cushion punching, I searched Weddingbee for a new officiant. And you know, I think I might have found one. Sure, we'll have to pay someone now and it isn't something we thought about for our budget. Both of us are sad that Josh's step dad won't be coming. In the end, though, we'll still be getting married. I've heard countless times that on the day of, the little disasters hardly matter and they are not what you remember when you look back on that day. I'm hoping everyone is right about that.
Did you have a change of plans close to your wedding day?

* I feel the need to tell this story as a side note: MOH Cartman is my best friend. We have known each other since we were fourteen. We have the tendency to slip into speaking with an Eric Cartman (from South Park, that cartoon masterpiece) voice whenever we talk. Her mom once said that she couldn't understand what the hell we were saying when we talked like that, and it became sort of like our secret language. Thus, the Cartman nickname for this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is a big change. It sounds like you're dealing with it really well, though. Good luck with finding a new officiant - I'm sure it will all work out beautifully in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're trying to figure out if the same person who officiated at Josh's dad's wedding will be able to officiate for us, or if we'll have to keep looking. I'm trying to remain optimistic about this!

      Delete