My soul sister Biscuit* over at Tying the Knot With Napkin is doing a candy buffet too, and her candy selections are amazing. I almost keeled over when she started listing the candy that she's having in her buffet. Candies from a foreign country! THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING TOO! Or at least, that's what I'm kind of doing too!
Being Mexican, having lived in Mexico for a while and getting to visit Mexico on a regular basis when I was younger, I have a soft spot in my heart for certain Mexican candies. I had planned all along to include some of my favorites in our buffet and with this in mind I hit up two Mexican grocers yesterday and picked these up:
Oh so tasty and delicious!
Duvalin, on the left, I can only think to describe as frosting-like. It's got a creamy consistency and comes with a little flat hard plastic paddle to eat it with. I got it in the hazelnut/vanilla and strawberry/vanilla flavors, although I have to say that the hazelnut/vanilla combo is my personal favorite. The Crayons on the right are strawberry and chile-mango flavored. These are little tubes filled with pulpy candy. You twist the bottom and candy comes out of the top. I Love (with a capital "L") the mango flavored ones, like the strawberry ones and made a "meh" face at the grape ones.
I'm still looking for a place here in College Station that carries Paletones Corona, which are marshmallow lollipops dipped in chocolate.
OMG SO GOOD!
Of course, we can't do a buffet with just three different types of candy. This is a breakdown of favorites for both of us:
Josh:
Black Forest Gummi Bears
Almond M&M's
chocolate chip cookies (Sister-Friend is making these)
Kit-Kat Bars or Mini Snickers Bars
Me:
Giant Pixy Stix
saltwater taffy
We'll be including these favorites along with the Mexican candy. It's not going to be color-coordinated, but it's going to taste good!
As for the details, I've been collecting glass from TJ Maxx and Goodwill and have spent under $20 so far on these...
Yes, my counters are ugly and mustard-colored!
...and last night it took me one Teen Mom episode and half a Dance Moms episode (fast-forwarding through commercials for both) to create this:
My next post just might be a tutorial on how to make this banner, because who wants to buy one from Etsy for $20 when you can make it for $10?
Are you doing a candy buffet? Will you be using candy from another country?
*Tying the Knot With Napkin is hilarious, and if you haven't read it yet I suggest you do.
That is so cool! I love that you're integrating candy from your culture into your candy bar--I've never heard of any of them, being from the Midwest US my entire life, but they sound delicious (especially the chile mango crayons!)
ReplyDeleteThanks! I actually hadn't seen the Crayons since I was eight, and I was so excited when I found them yesterday! They weren't part of the original plan but they were only $5 for all three packs so I decided to scoop them up.
DeleteYESSSSSSSSS! That is AMAZING! Way to go! (Please take a lot of pictures of people eating crayons.)
ReplyDeleteOMG this is the best idea ever!!! Foreign candy is totally my favorite candy. Every time one of my friends travels somewhere I'm like, "BRING BACK CANDY PLZ!" Can't wait to see the final product!
ReplyDelete