Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Four Eyes

Back when I was a little kid, both my mom and sister wore glasses and I happened to think that it was the coolest thing ever. I wanted a pair of my own, so much so that I was willing to fake near-blindness at the age of six. The optometrist was a sweet lady and played along, letting me believe that I would be getting a pair of cute pink frames with little plastic strawberries on the arms. I was really disappointed when those glasses never came, and my mom let me know after a couple of months that she knew that I had been faking. I had perfect 20/20 vision until I was twelve.
Middle school was the perfect time for that to happen, right? Let me just show you what people thought of in 1995 when you walked into school wearing glasses:

Minkus, HELLS YES! Picture courtesy The Rock at Boston College

While I totally love Minkus and his super-brain now, when I was twelve he was not cool at all. And you know, it wasn't just the glasses that were cramping my style. I was chubby and quiet, really shy and I spent most of my time reading. I begged my parents for contact lenses and they complied.
I wore my contacts until my junior year of high school, when my eyes started to reject them. It was painful to put them on in the morning and my eyes would be bloodshot throughout the day. I decided to go back to glasses and I haven't really looked back since.

If you thought I was kidding about being a nerd, this is me at 
the midnight release of Deathly Hallows, rocking my glasses.

I love my glasses. Josh loves my glasses. My sister calls them my "Lisa Loeb nerd glasses." They feel like an extension of my face. They make my nose look smaller. I freaking love my glasses! I might have even written a drunken sonnet to them a time or two. But for the wedding? I'll be ditching my glasses, just as I have been for special occasions over the past couple of years.
Truthfully, this doesn't have anything to do with thinking that I look better without my glasses, because I absolutely don't feel like I do. It has to do with the fact that when I thought about all of the accessories I'll be wearing north of my collarbones, it felt like a lot. My glasses were the only thing I really thought about removing. 
I'll still be wearing my glasses to every other wedding event, like our rehearsal. I know that they will be there on the wedding day in spirit (I say this because I know I'll be trying to push them up the bridge of my nose even though they won't be there). Sadly, but not so much so, the glasses will be sitting this one out.
Are you giving up your glasses for a special occasion? 

5 comments:

  1. Totally doing the same thing. My eyes are good enough that I can't get contacts because they don't make them weak enough, but bad enough enough that I have no depth perception without them. So I'm popping an advil, assigning someone to make sure I don't run into anything, DARE not catch anything, and am going glasses-free for the big day too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to feel naked without them!
      I have horrible vision, so while I hate wearing contacts, I have to or else it would end up being one of those things where I'd try to marry one of the groomsmen or something.

      Delete
    2. Don't have a 30 Rock moment. That is bad!

      Delete
  2. I'm keeping my glasses for my wedding. I don't take them off for any special occasions because they're the main accessory I do wear (I don't have my ears pierced so no earrings to interfere with, and I probably won't wear a veil for my wedding, just a tiara). I've also never worn contacts. I can understand why you wouldn't wear them--both are definite options--but I've seen so many beautiful brides in glasses and I can't wait to add to that number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently planning on wearing a petal-edged veil, an antique feathered headband, earrings and a necklace. Wearing the headband with the glasses makes me feel weird for some reason, and I have my heart set on wearing it.
      I have an appointment with the optometrist in a couple of weeks to get contacts, and it will be the first time in four years that I've had them.

      Delete