So, I already told the story of us getting back together again. From the moment that we decided to try a new relationship, things started moving really fast. We started talking about marriage in September. By October, we were looking at rings. In November, Josh made it very clear that a proposal was coming. The ring was already on its way to Texas. I braced myself for a long wait and practiced my "saying Yes" face.
In December, it was my turn to make the trip out to College Station to see Josh. On these trips, I normally flew out on Friday night and returned home on an early flight Monday morning so that I wouldn't miss any hours of work. This trip was no exception. I flew into Houston and Josh picked me up, and together we made the one hour trip to College Station. We passed out almost immediately that night because Josh had told me that he had some big plans for us the next day.
We spent that Saturday driving around town. Occasionally we would stop and get out, walk for a bit, but the cold would get to us and we'd hop back into the car and drive around some more. I had no idea what Josh was doing and truthfully, I wasn't that interested. I was upset with him the whole morning and into the afternoon over something stupid that had happened that morning.
That night, we met up with some friends for drinks and Josh told me that he was taking me to Santa's Wonderland, which is basically just a huge piece of land with a bunch of Christmas light displays. We stayed at the bar for about an hour before he started whispering conspiratorially with his friends and then announced that it was time to go.
This place is actually pretty fun. Where else can you find a million
lights, a petting zoo and an Elvis impersonator? Vegas, I guess, but
this is waaaaaay cheaper.
On the way to Santa's Wonderland, Josh was quiet. His nervousness clued me in. I was almost positive that he was going to propose tonight. We decided to take the hayride trip around the park when we got there, and pretty soon we were sitting on hay bales, sipping hot chocolate and FREEZING. Josh kept glancing over at me during the ride, squeezing my hand and smiling but....NOTHING. We went home after walking around the park and looking at the animals in the petting zoo.
We decided to relax the next day. The whole afternoon was spent laying around and that night we threw on some pajamas, ordered a pizza and ate it while sitting on the floor and watching a movie. When we were done with dinner, Josh turned and looked at me. He stared for a good five minutes before he said anything. When he did, it was pure brilliance.
"You know how much I love you, right? You make me happy and I want to spend my life with you. Will you marry me?"
Of course, I was completely eloquent in my reply. I said, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?"
"Will you marry me?"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes"
"Are you serious?"
"YES!"
"You're not serious."
At that point, he sighed really heavily, like life was just too much for him to handle. My reaction once I realized that this, in fact, was happening was "OH MY GOD, YOU'RE SERIOUS! YES YES YES!!!"
He explained to me, after I had apologized for being me and we had called our parents to tell them the news, that the ring was not in his possession. He had encountered some problems with the company that he had ordered it from.
It took two months for my ring to arrive, and when it did, Josh took a few days off and drove up to Santa Fe. He proposed again. This time, it was with flowers and my ring, and bless him-he actually got down on one knee and everything.
Did you almost ruin your proposal?
I knew about my proposal even though Mr. Sunshine had no clue I knew, only because he dropped hints so often! I was so torn on whether or not to tell him that I knew or not, because I don't like keeping secrets from him, but everyone told me to keep it to myself. I don't think he knows, even to this day, and I'm glad I didn't let him know at the time. It was still special :)
ReplyDeleteI told him later that I was pretty sure he was going to propose during the hayride, but that when he didn't I just assumed that he would do it at Christmas. It was a pretty big surprise that he did it when he did!
Delete