I know that this story is not really groundbreaking. I met Josh, we fell in love and somewhere in my early twenties, I think right around twenty-three, I knew I wanted to marry him. I was determined to marry him. I had known long before then that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, but that didn't mean marriage to me until that time.
It really didn't help that the average age for marriage in New Mexico, where we grew up, is twenty-four for women. By the time that I had my marriage epiphany, a lot of my high school friends were already married and had at least one baby. It seemed like everyone around me was getting married or engaged and starting their families. Everyone was growing up, except for me.
Josh hadn't made that same decision yet. He was cautious. Both of us had heard so many stories of people getting married "too young" and not being able to work through certain situations. Both of us had seen how painful divorce could be for everyone involved. He felt that we weren't ready. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I nagged him continuously. I knew it wouldn't help my case, but I still hoped. Part of me was afraid that if we ever got married at all, we would look like this:
Freaking adorable couple via Dress2Sale
Are you going to be an "old bride"?

Thirty isn't old at all! I'm called a young bride at 25 which makes me go insane because I consider young brides to be in their very early 20s or younger.
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, my parents were married at 28 (and just before my mom's 29th birthday) and were called "old" back in the early 80s. They are celebrating their 27th anniversary this year :)
I think once I hit 25 and still wasn't married and was still childless, everyone around me gave up on the thought of me getting married. I actually know quite a few people that are my age and have been married for a while and have three or four kids. I'm pretty sure that a lot of it has to do with where you're living as to whether or not you're considered an old or young bride.
DeleteMarketing doesn't help either, considering that some designer websites have girls that look around fourteen modeling their wedding dresses.
Oh, yes-and congratulations to your parents!