Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

"I was hiding under your porch because I love you"

A couple of years ago, when we first started dating again, Josh had already made the move to Texas and I was still living and working in Santa Fe. The trip is an almost thirteen hour drive or a two hour, almost $400 flight. We were lucky enough to have the time and resources to travel out to see each other over a weekend once per month, each of us switching off. Every other month, I would pack up my suitcase and either drive or fly and every other month Josh would do the same. It was difficult. Neither of us wanted to be apart now that we were together again.
We wanted to make it work more than anything, so we did. We spent a lot of time on the phone talking about how the day went. We made the most of our visits, spending nearly every minute together. And even though we were almost a thousand miles apart, we started having movie dates. We would both rent a movie, put each other on speakerphone and start it at the same time so that we could watch together. The very first movie we watched for our phone dates was Up.

Carl and Ellie's house, picture via Amazingstuff

Carl and Ellie Frederickson's love story was amazing and sweet, made even sweeter by the fact that it was told through a children's movie. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am continually floored by the stories that Pixar comes up with. They have truly mastered the art of using cartoons to tell stories that will entertain children but still resonate with adults. 
The story stuck with both Josh and I, and when we started planning our wedding I suggested using elements from the movie.We agreed to give little nods to the story without doing a full-blown themed wedding. We'll definitely have a mailbox for cards like this one:


We used balloons as props for our engagement pictures.Of course, we'll also be using balloons as ceremony decorations, but more colorful than these:

From Glamour Magazine's wedding trends section

My favorite thing that we'll be doing? This project that I'm taking on any day now:


I am so in love with this aisle runner that I am totally willing to paint one of my very own by hand. I know it will take a while but I think it will be totally worth it in the end. Will I still feel that way after painting fifty feet of fabric by hand, by myself? Place that in the "don't know, hope so" category.
While we are both happy with the elements of the movie we'll be incorporating here and there, we are also not trying to make the whole thing an entirely Up themed wedding. I don't want it to look like a kid's birthday party. Both of us still want it to look and feel like us on a good hair day.
Have you seen Up? Did it make you cry too?



2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your post on Weddingbee (my username is RapunzelRapunzel...no blog yet myself!), and I immediately related to your blog because I'm a huge nerd myself planning a very nerdy wedding! I LOVE that aisle runner...I've considered doing an Up! theme, but Tangled was the first Disney movie we saw together in theaters so I'm going to go with that. But the aisle runner is gorgeous and I hope it turns out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! I'm currently working on the aisle runner and I'm up to my elbows in paint. I'll definitely be posting pictures of it once it's close to done.
    I love Tangled! Maximus and Pascal MADE that movie. Plus, the running joke about Flynn's nose was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete